The Center for Chinese Studies at the University of California, Berkeley invites applications for its 2014-2015 Postdoctoral Fellowship. The Center expects to make one postdoctoral award with a stipend of approximately $40,000. Holders of this fellowship are expected to (1) be in residence from August 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015; (2) complete a research project or revise a doctoral dissertation in the field of Chinese Studies, which will result in a publishable manuscript; and (3) participate in regular colloquia and seminar programs at the Center. Recipients of the award must have completed their degree by the commencement date of the fellowship. Applicants must be within five years of completing the Ph.D. The Center for Chinese Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship may be combined with other sources of funding.
Doctoral students and scholars holding the Ph.D. should apply directly to the Center for Chinese Studies. The Center requires one copy each of the following.
- The Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Form: PDF Document
- A curriculum vita with a list of publications
- A research proposal of no longer than two pages, double-spaced
- An English-language writing sample (such as a partial dissertation chapter) no longer than 20 pages, double-spaced (no off‑prints)
- Letters of support from two individuals knowledgeable about the work of the applicant and the applicant's project. These letters should be sent directly to the Center by the recommenders by mail or email.
- The dissertation table of contents
All application materials should be mailed to:
Center for Chinese Studies
Attn: Postdoctoral Committee
2223 Fulton Street, Room 505
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2328
Completed applications must be received no later than Monday, January 27, 2014. The Center expects to announce its awards in late March. All applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are completed and received (not postmarked) by the deadline. We cannot accept applications by email.