Visiting Scholars

Application Information

a) Submit your applications as early as possible. All applications must first be reviewed by the visiting scholar committee. Applicants for visiting scholar appointments must submit all necessary documentation and fees. If your application is accepted, it must be processed by two other offices.

b) Please remember to factor in the time it requires for you to obtain your visa from the U.S. Embassy. Also allow for unexpected delays in obtaining your visa. Thus, if you are considering the Center for Korean Studies in pursuing your current research, be aware that the application process requires up to four months.

c) Submit your application with all the required forms and materials. Incomplete or incorrectly submitted applications can be significantly delayed. In particular, no application will be considered if we have not received the $200 application fee.


You must send the following items. All of them can be sent by e-mail to cks-vs@berkeley.edu except the application fee. No application is complete until we have received all of these items.

  1. Application Fee (non-refundable). A check for $200 paid to UC Regents must be sent by mail to Dianne-Enpa Cho, Center for Korean Studies, 1995 University Avenue Suite 520M, Berkeley, CA 94704‑2318 U.S.A. No application will be considered if this fee is not paid. This fee is non-refundable once submitted. (신청비 200 불을보내지 않으시면신청서를 심사하지 않습니다.)
  2. Curriculum Vitae. A CV or resume in English. It should include the highest academic degree earned, major academic or professional activities, and relevant publications. (본인 소개서—영어로 작성하여주십시요.)
  3. Research Plan. A detailed explanation in English of your plan of research while at the Center for Korean Studies. (연구계획서—영어로 작성하여 주십시요.)
  4. VSPA Form. This form and instructions for filling it out are available at Application Forms. You must sign the form, so please scan and e-mail it, or send it by mail to CKS. (다운로드하신후 작성하여 주십시요.)
  5. Copy of Passport. A copy of the front (picture) page of your passport, and passports of any dependents (spouse or children under 21 years old) who will be joining you in the U.S. (오시는 동반자 모두의 여권 복사가 필요합니다.)
  6. Proof of funding. The U.S. government needs proof that you have enough funds to live in the country as a visiting scholar ($1,600 per month, plus $500 per month if you are accompanied by your spouse, plus $200 per month per accompanying child). (재정 증명서는 영어로 제시 되어야 하며 액수는 본인 $1600, 부인 $500 그리고 자녀분 $200불을 더하여 12 개월로 곱한 액수이거나 그이상이어야 합니다.) You have two choices here.

    (a) If your employer will pay your salary while you are in the U.S., submit a letter from your employer stating your yearly salary in U.S. dollars and the dates of your visiting scholar term. The letter can be from your direct supervisor or anyone in the organization with a higher rank than yourself.

    (b) If you are using personal funds, submit a personal bank statement translated into English and converted into U.S. dollars.

  7. Proof of English language proficiency. TOEIC score is not permitted. As of January 5th, 2015, all applicants are required to submit proof of English language proficiency in compliance with Federal regulation on J-1 visa. The applicant must have adequate English language proficiency for the proposed activity. (Reg.22 CFR 62.10 (a)(2)). Please select from following options. Please note that the following recommendations are not intended to guarantee a visa approval at the embassy.

    (a) Most recent copy of a recognized English language test (TOEFL or IELTS only). TOEFL iBT minimum score is 80. PBT is 550 for the paper-based test, or 213 for the computer-based test. IELTS is 6.5. The score must be obtained within 5 years from the time you submit your application to CKS.


    (b) Signed letter from an academic institution or English language school on institutional letterhead. Please consult with Visiting Scholar Program Coordinator for details.

  8. Please be aware that CKS only accepts the above options for visiting scholar applicants to fulfill English language proficiency requirements and does not conduct interviews regarding such.

  9. J Scholar Information Request. Please provide all information detailed in the J Scholar Information Request found in the application forms section.

Contact information for applications:

E-mail: cks-vs@berkeley.edu

Mail: Dianne-Enpa Cho
Visiting Scholar Program Coordinator
Center for Korean Studies
1995 University Avenue Suite 520M
Berkeley, CA 94704-2318

Phone: (510) 642-5674 or (510) 643-6326
Fax: (510) 643-7062


There are many different fees charged by the visiting scholar program.

  1. $200 application fee (non-refundable). If you have applied via e-mail, please send the check separately. This fee should be paid by check to UC Regents and mailed to the Center for Korean Studies. This fee is non-refundable once submitted.
  2. The remaining fees are charged only if a scholar is accepted to our program:

  3. $500 DS-2019 processing fee. This fee is for the Berkeley International Office (BIO), which produces your DS‑2019 form. This form is required when you go to the U.S. Embassy to get your J-1 visa. This fee should be paid by check to UC Regents and mailed to the Center for Korean Studies only after a scholar is accepted.
    Extensions: A $250 processing fee is required for extensions.
  4. $750 VSPA fee. Scholars pay this fee when they arrive and check in with the Center for Korean Studies. It is payable online by credit card. This fee goes to the VSPA office, which is in charge of all visiting scholar programs at Berkeley. Scholars can only receive their university ID card after paying this fee.
    Visiting student researchers must pay $1,500 as of July 1, 2018.
    Extensions: A $750 VSPA fee is required for extensions.   From July 1, 2018, this fee will increase to $1,500 for visiting scholars and $2,500 for visiting student researchers.
  5. CKS visiting scholar fee. There are two categories for this fee. CKS does not prorate the fee for scholars staying less than one year.

(a) $2,300 is charged to visiting scholars with a Ph.D. who hold a teaching appointment at a university.
Extensions: A $2,300 CKS visiting scholar fee is charged for extensions for those who fall under this category.

(b) $10,000 is charged to all other scholars, i.e., journalists, government officials, and researchers at government and private institutes.
Extensions: A $10,000 CKS visiting scholar fee is charged for extensions for those who fall under this category.

Visa Fee at the U.S. Embassy

The list of fees above does not include the visa fee that you will be charged by the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. It is currently $160 (see http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#temp). You are responsible for this fee.