IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: IUP IS MOVING TO STANFORD. Stanford website is under construction. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Brent Haas at wbhaas@stanford.edu

Academic Credit

Earning US Academic Credit for IUP Coursework

IUP students can now enroll to have their coursework at IUP recorded as transferable academic credit through Indiana University, Bloomington, which serves as IUP's transcript School of Record. IMPORTANT: Indiana University will not furnish an Indiana University transcript for the IUP Summer Program; transcripts are available for the Academic Year, Fall, and Spring Semester Programs. This program is optional, and is open to both undergraduates and graduate students. There is an additional fee for enrolling for credit, so students should choose this option only if they require academic credits to complete a degree or to obtain a deferral on their educational loan payments. All coursework taken for credit must be assigned a letter grade.

See a sample IUP transcript.

Why should I enroll for credit?

IUP itself is not the type of institution that is authorized to grant US academic credit. Some US institutions have internal arrangements that allow students to earn credit at their home schools for work done at IUP, but because students pay tuition to IUP rather than to their home institutions, there are many schools that are not set up to do this. Because Indiana University is a credit-granting institution whose credits are transferable to other schools through standard practices, having your IUP work recorded through Indiana University should allow your home institution to apply credits earned at IUP to your degree program. In many cases, this may fulfill specific degree requirements (e.g., a major requirement for language coursework at the third-year or higher level); in some cases, the credits may contribute only towards the minimum total hours required for a degree.

If you will not be able to earn credit at your home institution for work done at IUP and if it will assist your academic progress to be able to transfer credit for IUP work through Indiana University, then you should consider this program. Because institutions ultimately have the option to accept or reject any transfer credits, it is best to check first with the school you plan to return to, so you know how credits earned are likely to be treated.

How do I enroll?

Students enroll by semester. The Fall semester corresponds to IUP modules 1 and 2; the Spring semester corresponds to IUP modules 3 and 4. IUP modules are eight weeks long. You may enroll for either semester or for both. Indiana credit is NOT available for courses taken in the IUP summer session.

If you wish to enroll for credit, you must notify IUP by September 1 for the Fall term, and by January 10 for the Spring term. IUP will submit your basic personal and academic information to Indiana University so that you can be registered for credits.

Students who are enrolled in a graduate program at a US university may enroll as graduate students; all others enroll as undergraduates. There are differences in the amount and cost of credit undergraduates and graduates are eligible to receive. Graduate students may receive undergraduate credit for undergraduate-level coursework; undergraduates may earn credit for graduate level coursework.

How much credit can I get?

Undergraduates can earn 12-16 credits per semester. Graduates can earn 8-12 credits per semester. There is a flat fee; the specific number of credit hours is determined at the end of each term, as explained below.

What's the cost to me?

For 2006-07, the cost to undergraduates will be $550 for one term and $350 for a second term. The cost to graduate students will be $425 for one term and $225 for a second term. (These figures represent a one-time administrative fee of $200, plus a fee of approximately $22.50 per credit hour that is charged for all registrations at Indiana University.)

What coursework counts?

All coursework taken at IUP may be assigned credits, up to the maximum amount per term, but some types of coursework are more likely than others to be treated as fully transferable by US institutions. The following table lists IUP courses on the left and the equivalents assigned by Indiana University as "East Asian Languages and Cultures" credits:

IUP and Indiana University EALC Course Equivalents

IUP courses

Contact hours

Indiana University course equivalent

Primary credits

Excess credits
Second-Yr. I 120-160 C202 4 E496 2-4
Third-Yr. I 80-120 C301 4/3* E496 0-2
Third-Yr. II 80-120 C302 4/3* E496 0-2
Fourth-Yr. I 80-120 C401/501 4/3* E496 0-2
Fourth-Yr. II 80-120 C402/501 4/3* E496 0-2
Literary I 40 C306/506 2  
Literary II 40 C307/507 2  
Business I 40 C320 2  
Business II 40 C320 2  

*At graduate levels, Third-Year and Fourth-Year Chinese earn 3 graduate credits per course. C301/302 count for either undergraduate or graduate credit. For Fourth-Year and Literary courses, graduate students enroll under 500-level numbers. Second-Year and Business Chinese are undergraduate credit courses.

In principle, one undergraduate credit hour is assigned for each 20 classroom contact hours. In the case of IUP "core courses" (Second-Year, Third-Year, and Fourth-Year Chinese), students may participate in more contact hours than can be assigned to the primary course equivalent. In such cases, excess credit hours can be recorded under the E496 number, which is essentially undistributed credit. Institutions are less likely to transfer these hours as credits to fulfill specific degree requirements.

Some IUP students take classes in specialized reading topics at advanced levels. These courses can be assigned a course equivalent of Indiana University EALC C505: Topics in Chinese Studies, which may be repeated twice under different topics:

Specialized Reading Topics

IUP courses

Contact hours

Indiana University course equivalent

Primary credits

Excess credits
Topics (grad) 40-80 C505 2-4  

Any individualized coursework outside the standard IUP course list that does not meet IUP criteria for Topics courses at the graduate level may be recorded under the E496 number.

When do I specify what courses I am enrolling for?

Because students indicate their intention to enroll before IUP placement tests in the Fall or Spring, before course choices for the second IUP module of each term are determined, students are initially enrolled by Indiana University without specific course assignments. These are reported only at the end of each two-module semester. At that time, IUP reports to Indiana University the courses taken, the amount of credit each course represents (in terms of contact hours), letter grades for each course, and the total number of hours within the block range (12-16 for undergraduates; 8-12 for graduates) that should be recorded.

If the total amount of course hours taken during a term exceeds the number of hours that will be recorded, the credits and grades that are recorded are determined as follows:

  1. "Core course" distributed credits and grades are recorded first.
  2. Distributed credits and grades in other courses are recorded next.
  3. Undistributed (E496) grades are recorded next.

In each case, hours completed during the first module are recorded prior to hours completed during the second module until the level of credits specified is reached.

Whom do I contact if I encounter problems?

All contacts concerning this program should be with the Resident Director of the IUP Center in Beijing. Students should not contact Indiana University directly; the University is authorized to respond to queries and to act only through direct instructions from the IUP Center.

Can I withdraw once I've enrolled; can my fees be refunded?

Indiana University does not permit withdrawal from enrollments in overseas programs except in exceptional circumstances that entail withdrawal from the entire program for reasons beyond the control of students, at the recommendation of the IUP Center in Beijing and with the approval of Indiana University. In such cases – and in such cases only – a grade of Incomplete may be assigned to courses, as specified by IUP. Because the Indiana University Office of Overseas Studies itself cannot recover fees it has forwarded to the University, fees cannot be refunded to students except in cases that have arisen because of errors at Indiana University.

How does this program affect the status of loans or scholarships I may have?

Indiana University will follow standard procedures to notify students' home institutions that no financial aid is being offered through Indiana University. This will ensure that enrollment for credit through Indiana University will not disrupt loans and scholarships awarded elsewhere. Students should consult with offices of financial aid at their home institutions to clarify how enrollment for credit may bear on financial aid issues.