IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: IUP IS MOVING TO STANFORD. Stanford website is under construction. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Brent Haas at wbhaas@stanford.edu

Life at Tsinghua


Tsinghua computers lab

Although the Program's curriculum generally does not involve the use of computers, many students will find that over the course of the academic year, the need for a computer may arise. Students have high-speed access to the Internet in IUP's computer room, but, to our knowledge, foreign students presently do not have access to Tsinghua University's computing facilities (except for Email purposes). Therefore, students who anticipate the need for a computer should either bring their own notebook computers or plan to purchase a desktop locally (for the equivalent of about US$1,200).

Most AC/DC adapters (also called transformers) that come with notebook computers are made for a voltage range of 110-220 and therefore can be used with the current in China, but you should check the voltage range of your AC/DC adapter AND purchase a local power stick with a circuit breaker in case of voltage surge. Voltage converters for use with appliances made for 110V may be purchased in China. The small travel voltage converters available in the U.S. are not powerful enough for use with larger appliances. If you do purchase a new notebook computer to bring to China, be sure to allow enough time before your departure to become thoroughly acquainted with your machine, and to iron out any glitches, for assistance with imported computers is not readily available locally.

Notebook computers do not seem to catch the attention of Customs officials at the Beijing Airport. However, you may be asked to declare it upon entry into China, in which case you should take it out of China when you leave in order to avoid paying customs.