2014 Berkeley STARTALK Mandarin Teacher Program
Application Deadline: May 5, 2014, 11:59pm
Online: June 16, 2014 – July 6, 2014 AND
Face-to-Face: July 7 – July 18, 2014
All participants are required to attend both parts of this 5-week program
The 2014 Berkeley STARTALK Mandarin Language and Culture Teacher Program will continue for its seventh year. It will be a 5-week blended/hybrid program scheduled from June 16 to July 18.
ONLINE PART (June 16 – July 6, 2014)
Open to all participants — 21-day asynchronous workshop featuring instructional videos, note-taking, discussion forums, checking-understanding-quizzes, and assignments to be completed gradually according to your personal daily availability.
The 3-section online program (allow three weeks to finish, from June 16 to July 6) will offer:
- Reading, exercises, and discussions on National and State Standards, STARTALK Endorsed Principles for Effective Teaching and Learning, Chinese linguistics/pedagogical grammar, backward design for unit and lesson planning, using target language to teach;
- 2) Demo lesson critiques (using short lessons taped in mentor teachers classrooms and/or STARTALK Classroom Video Collections);
- 3) A technology workshop introducing technology applications for 2014 STARTALK Program and for Chinese language classrooms.
Online Course format and technology requirements
This course is delivered entirely online through an online course management system. This course is almost entirely asynchronous, but there may be one synchronous meeting and partner activities that are at arranged times. You should expect to spend approximately 2-4 hours per week on this course.
You will need an internet connection with a high speed connection in order to watch the videos online. You will need a headset with microphone and a webcam for your computer in order to participate fully in the course. You also need a Google email account since this course will introduce most of effective teaching/learning Google tools. All of the applications we use online will be free for you to try out activities. During the three weeks, we will have a technology teams who will help you go through the online learning process.
FACE-TO-FACT PART (July 7 – July 18, 2014, Monday-Friday)
Berkeley High School
1980 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
The teacher participants will become acquainted with Standards-based instructions, STARTALK endorsed best practices, backward design, unit and lesson planning and other topics leading to better performance in the classroom. During the second week of the face-to-face program (July 14‑18), volunteer middle and high school students will join the program to provide Teacher participants with a real classroom setting for practicum.
After completing the 5-week online and face-to-face program, the teacher participants will receive a certificate of completion upon completing this summer enrichment program.
Teachers who meet the following criteria will be considered for participation in the program:
- Able to participate in the full 5-week, 25-day program
(Online: June 16‑July 6 and Face-to-Face: July 7‑18, 2014)
- Currently teaching K-12 in public, private, and Chinese heritage schools
- Holding teacher credentials in other subjects but planning to teach Chinese
- Completed a teacher training program for teaching Chinese or teaching English and need for further professional development in teaching Chinese
- Hold an academic degree in Chinese language and literature and plan to teach Chinese
Application Deadline: May 5, 2014 11:59 pm. We will send you a notification of your admission status via email on May 19, 2014.
If you are having trouble viewing the form, you may click here to view the form in a new page.