Berkeley East Asia National Resource Center
The Berkeley East Asia National Resource Center (NRC), supported under the auspices of Title VI of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and the U.S. Department of Education, serves to strengthen training in the major languages of East Asia in conjunction with area studies training in the field. It also supports Berkeley's role as one of the nation's major centers for resources on East Asia.
The US Department of Education supports East Asia National Resources Centers (NRC) under Title VI, Section 602(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Comprehensive Centers, including Berkeley, support undergraduate, graduate, and professional school programs.
The general purpose of the NRC programs is to establish, strengthen, and operate language and area studies centers or programs that will be national resources for:
- Teaching of modern foreign languages
- Instruction in fields needed to provide full understanding of areas, regions, or countries in which such language is commonly used
- Research and training in international studies
- Language aspects of professional and other fields of study
- Instruction and research on issues in world affairs that concern one or more countries
- Providing outreach and consultative services on a national, regional and local basis
- Maintaining linkages with overseas institutions of higher education and other organizations that may contribute to the teaching and research of the Center
In the case of a Comprehensive Center:
- Maintains specialized library collections; and
- Employs scholars engaged in training and research that relates to the subject area of the Center.
The Council on East Asian Studies at Yale University is desigated as an NRC-Only Center. The Center for Asian Studies at the University of Colorado - designated FLAS-Only Centers - is supported by the US Department of Education with Foreign Language and Area (FLAS) Fellowships to graduate students combining language and area/international studies.
For additional information, please see the US Department of Education National Resource Centers Home Page.
Berkeley is also home to several other area studies National Resource Centers. See http://www.ias.berkeley.edu/research_directory for a directory of those centers.