The Dr. C.F. Koo and Cecilia Koo Chair Fellowships for Outstanding Graduate Students in East Asian Studies, 2016
Purpose and Description
The Dr. C.F. Koo and Cecilia Koo Chair endowment was established in 2008 at the University of California, Berkeley. Dr. Koo was a distinguished business leader and statesman who led the Taiwan-based Pan-Asian Group, and who served as senior advisor to successive presidents of Taiwan. As Chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation, he also helped to arrange the first direct talks between Taiwan and the People's Republic of China.
The Koo Chair supports the research of a distinguished faculty chairholder with research interests in East Asia whose research and teaching will contribute to the achievement of global peace and understanding. It also provides funding for currently enrolled graduate students.
The Dr. C.F. Koo and Cecilia Koo Fellowships in East Asian Studies have been established at Berkeley's Institute of East Asian Studies to honor outstanding graduate students in East Asian studies, as demonstrated by their academic record and by the submission of an original research paper. For 2016, two fellowships of $11,000 will be awarded. Students must first be nominated by a Berkeley faculty member, then will be invited to submit applications.
Eligibility and Criteria
All students (both MA and PhD) in any field of East Asian studies (defined as a focus on China, Japan, Korea and Inner Asia) who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at UC Berkeley and who will file their dissertations no earlier than December 2016 are eligible for nomination Undergraduates and those who have already received the PhD degree are not eligible. In making the awards, the faculty review committee will consider the students' overall success within the graduate program as documented by supporting materials, and their research skills as demonstrated by an outstanding, original research paper. Papers submitted for consideration must be unpublished, can be on any subject in East Asian studies, and may be in the form of theses, seminar papers, dissertation chapters or unpublished manuscripts. Papers must make use of primary sources in an East Asian language.
The Koo Fellowships will be announced in April 2016, and the winners will each receive an award of $11,000, which may be taken as a stipend, or applied, at the recipients' discretion, to (non-taxable) fees or research support.
Application Procedures for 2016 Awards
There are two stages to the application process.
Stage 1: Each Berkeley faculty member in East Asian studies may nominate ONE student. Nominations in the form of a letter of recommendation should be submitted to IEAS by Monday, February 29, at 5 pm. Nominations must be emailed to Martin Backstrom, IEAS Associate Director, at email@example.com..
Stage 2: Nominated students will then be invited by IEAS to submit the following materials by Thursday, March 31, 2016.
- Application Cover Sheet (to be emailed to nominated students).
- A current Transcript (unofficial "BearFacts" copies OK) from UC Berkeley.
- A candidate Statement (two pages or less) containing a précis of the paper plus information about how it fits into the student's overall career trajectory.
- A second Letter of Recommendation, emailed separately to IEAS by a faculty member with knowledge of the student's overall performance within the program. One of the two letters of support must be from the student's major advisor. Emailed recommendations go to firstname.lastname@example.org..
- A curriculum vitae.
- 6. A PDF or Word version of an original research paper in East Asian studies, written within the last 12 months. The main text of the paper preferably should not exceed 40 pages (double-spaced), with additional pages allowed for citations, bibliography, etc. Papers are to be written in English, but must demonstrate use of primary source documents in an East Asian language.
Materials must be submitted in PDF or WORD FORMAT ONLY, preferably in a single file that will be easily forwarded to review committee members. Materials go to Martin Backstrom at backstrom @berkeley.edu. Materials submitted by postal mail or hand-delivered, as well as those not received by March 31, 2016, will not be accepted.
The fellowship recipients may be invited to participate in future academic events honoring the donors.
Please contact Martin Backstrom at email@example.com with any questions you may have about the 2016 Dr. C.F. Koo and Cecilia Koo Chair Fellowships in East Asian Studies.