Visiting Scholars

During Affiliation

U.S. Visa

When CKS and other UC Berkeley have completed processing your file, you will receive a DS-2019 form. Take this form with you to the U.S. Embassy to receive your J-1 visa for yourself (plus a J-2 visa for each dependent). For more information about the J visa, see the website of the U.S. Embassy in Seoul: English and Korean.

Residency requirement

UC Berkeley requires that all persons holding visiting scholar status reside within the San Francisco Bay Area for the entirety of their period of affiliation, with the exception of travel periods of reasonable duration. Center affiliates may not claim visiting scholar status while carrying out normal academic duties in Korea.

In order to provide verification of visiting scholar status to the U.S. State Department so that the scholar can maintain a clean immigration record, the dates of affiliation on the DS-2019 form must match the dates of residency in the San Francisco Bay Area. If a visiting scholar decides to terminate their affiliation earlier than the recorded date, they must notify the Center at least two months in advance to get approval for the change so that the DS-2019 form can be amended. The Center for Korean Studies reserves the right to refuse to approve requests for early termination without good cause, or that have been submitted late (less than two months prior to the original end date). Terminating early without approval may result in the affiliates' visiting scholar status being designated as incomplete.

Visiting Scholars may leave up to 12 days early without getting an amended DS-2019, but should still notify the Center in advance to confirm. Visiting Scholars may arrive up to 30 days prior to the start of their affiliation or leave up to 30 days after the culmination of their affiliation without penalty.

Travel Advisory: Currently, Berkeley International Office recommends minimizing international travel due to the rapidly-changing nature of US immigration policy. For important information regarding current US immigration policy, Executive Orders, and travel advisories, please see the Berkeley International Office's Immigration Policy Updates.

Extension of stay

The period of affiliation is usually one year. However, extensions of up to one additional year will be made on a case by case basis. To request an extension, please do so by submitting a one page description to cks-vs@berkeley.edu (in English) on the current status of your research and a justification for why the extra time is needed. The fees for extending can be found under the fees section on this site. Please note that extensions on housing agreements, whether university housing or private housing, is not automatically guaranteed, and therefore scholars should secure housing before making the decision to accept an extension, if an extension is granted.

Scholarly responsibilities

Research project: It is important that all visiting scholars make successful progress in their research program while they are affiliated with CKS. As a signal for completion of the scholar's research program, all visiting scholars and other affiliates are required to submit a final report on their research to the Chair when the affiliation ends.

Center Colloquia and Conferences: Korean visiting scholars are expected to attend as many Center colloquia and other public activities as possible. The scholar must at some time present an oral report or a public lecture, in Korean or English, on his or her research. Such lectures are free and open to the public.

Early departures: Scholars are expected to stay in residence throughout their entire affiliation period. Exceptions may be granted in cases of extreme hardship. Scholars who wish to depart early must request to do so at least two months in advance of their affiliation end date. Scholars must also submit their final report before their departure.

Services provided by CKS

Affiliation with CKS allows visiting scholars to obtain an official campus identification card (http://vspa.berkeley.edu/id-cards-visiting-researcher-scholars). Services also include photocopying privileges and use of a shared working space.


Housing in the San Francisco Bay Area takes considerable time and resources to acquire. Please be aware that the university no longer offers family housing to visiting scholars, and CKS is not responsible for visiting scholars' housing search. However, visiting scholars encouraged to use the following resources:

Other scholar activities

The Korean Visiting Scholars' Association (KVSA) is organized as a support group to discuss various relevant issues that are related to the general concerns of the visiting scholars during their affiliation with the Center. It autonomously plans academic as well as social activities and implements them with the proper support of CKS. It also serves as one of the means to support visiting scholars in sharing information to orient themselves and to discover a community of colleagues, thereby easing their transition to life in Berkeley.