Welcome to IEAS Publications!
The Institute of East Asian Studies supports a nonprofit academic publications program. We publish scholarly monographs on China, Japan, and Korea, as well as research papers and policy studies on the Asia-Pacific region. Submitted manuscripts go through a rigorous review process, and the finished books often receive reviews in leading journals.
The institute also distributes the Berkeley Buddhist Studies Series and publications on Southeast Asia, along with books produced by the Chinese Popular Culture Project and by the Center for Japan Studies at Teikyo Loretto Heights University.
Managing Editor Katherine Lawn Chouta acquires and edits all manuscripts in addition to overseeing monograph production and marketing of the resulting monographs.
Publications Assistant Erik Lyngen handles customer orders and worldwide distribution of our books and journals.
To search or browse our online book catalogue, click here.
To place an order for our books, click here.
To submit a manuscript or to see the IEAS style and format guidelines, click here.
To obtain permission to reprint part of an IEAS book or to publish a translation of an IEAS book, click here.
To join the IEAS publications mailing list, click here.
IEAS jointly publishes the Early China Special Monograph Series and the journal Early China with the Society for the Study of Early China. The institute also distributes the Journal of Song-Yuan Studies.
IEAS hosts the editorial staff of Asian Survey, a bimonthly journal distributed by UC Press.
Since 2009, the Journal of Chinese Religions has been edited through an office in the Center for Chinese Studies at the institute.
The Journal of Vietnamese Studies is managed by the Center for Southeast Asia Studies.
Until 2009, IEAS distributed South Asian language textbooks produced by the Center for South Asia Studies.
News and Events
- August 2013 — Recently published: Discourses of Discipline: An Anthropology of Corporal Punishment in Japan's Schools and Sports, by Aaron L. Miller.
- July 2013 — Mobile Horizons: Dynamics across the Taiwan Strait, edited by Wen‑hsin Yeh, is now available!
- June 2013 — Recently published: Mobile Subjects: Boundaries and Identities in the Modern Korean Diaspora, edited by Wen‑hsin Yeh.
- March 2013 — Visit IEAS publications at booth 202 at the 2013 Association for Asian Studies conference, March 21-24, 2013, in San Diego.
- Working for His Majesty, by David N. Keightley, is now available!
- Recently published: History in Images: Pictures and Public Space in Modern China, edited by Christian Henriot and Wen‑hsin Yeh.
- City of Working Women selected for CALA 2011 Best Books List
- Special call for submissions to our Japan Research Monograph series.