Welcome to IEAS Publications!
We are a nonprofit academic publications program supported by the Institute of East Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. We publish scholarly monographs on China, Japan, and Korea, as well as research papers and policy studies on the Asia-Pacific region. Submitted manuscripts go through a rigorous review process, and those selected for publication are often reviewed in academic journals.
Managing Editor Katherine Lawn Chouta acquires and edits all manuscripts in addition to overseeing the production and marketing of the monographs. She may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publications Assistant Erik Lyngen handles customer orders and worldwide distribution of our books and journals. He may be reached at email@example.com.
The institute sells the Berkeley Buddhist Studies Series on behalf of the Center for Buddhist Studies.
IEAS distributes the Journal of Song-Yuan Studies for the Society for Song, Yuan, and Conquest Dynasty Studies.
We publish and distribute Early China Special Monograph Series with the Society for the Study of Early China.
The institute hosts the editorial staff of Asian Survey, a bimonthly journal published by UC Press.
To join the IEAS publications mailing list, click here.
News and Events
- December 2016 — Visit IEAS Publications at Booth 601 at the Association of Asian Studies annual conference in Toronto, March 16–19, 2017.
- December 2016 — More backlist titles available as free PDFs.
- December 2016 — Introducing China Research Monograph 73: Knowledge Acts in Modern China: Ideas, Institutions, and Identities, edited by Robert Culp, Eddy U, and Wen-shin Yeh. The individuals portrayed in this volume illustrate how modern systems of thought gave life to social institutions and generated new social roles and identities in China’s tumultuous transition during the first half of the twentieth century.
- May 2016 — Introducing our latest China Research Monograph: The Cross-Cultural Legacy of Lin Yutang: Critical Perspectives, edited by Qian Suoqiao. This critical volume, representing the best international scholarship on Lin Yutang studies to date, is a first attempt at a comprehensive study on the cross-cultural legacy of Lin’s literary practices in and across China and America.
- April 2016 — New online catalogue
- January 2016 — Early Medieval Chinese Texts — Introducing the latest volume in our China Research Monograph series. Early Medieval Chinese Texts is an invaluable bibliographical guide for scholars of early medieval China.
- January 2016 — Visit IEAS publications at booth 612 at the Association for Asian Studies annual meeting, March 31 – April 3, 2016, in Seattle.
- April 2015 — Introducing the first volume in our new series — Transnational Korea: Multiethnic Korea? Multiculturalism, Migration, and Peoplehood Diversity in Contemporary South Korea
- March 2015 — Visit IEAS publications at booth 517 at the Association for Asian Studies annual meeting, March 27‑29, 2015, in Chicago.
- November 2014 — Announcing our latest publication — Kōmeitō: Politics and Religion in Japan, edited by George Ehrhardt, Axel Klein, Levi McLaughlin, and Steven R. Reed.
- September 2014 — Recently published: A Comparative Study of East Asian Capitalism, edited by Hong Yung Lee.
- Special call for submissions to our Transnational Korea and Japan Research Monograph series.