As part of its 6-year “Top University Strategic Alliance” (TUSA) agreement with the Taiwan Ministry of Education and a consortium of twelve Taiwan universities, the Institute of East Asian Studies (IEAS) is pleased to offer additional short-term teaching opportunities in Taiwan for UC Berkeley ladder rank faculty during calendar year 2016. Applications can be accepted for stays in Taiwan during the spring or summer months of 2016, the fall term, or during December 2016. No funding is available for stays that continue into 2017.
Berkeley faculty members in any field of East Asian or Buddhist studies are invited to apply for funds to teach at Alliance universities in Taiwan, from three weeks to one full term. Three positions are available for calendar year 2016. Under the terms of the TUSA agreement, the selected Berkeley faculty members will be provided air transportation, lodging, meals and a stipend (details below). Courses may take place at any of the following Alliance universities:
- Chang Gung University
- National Central University
- National Cheng Chi University
- National Cheng Kung University
- National Chiao Tung University
- National Chung Hsing University
- National Sun Yat-sen University
- National Taiwan Normal University
- National Taiwan University
- National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- National Tsing Hua University
- National Yang Ming University
Berkeley faculty will either teach individual short-term courses, or will co-teach a significant portion of existing courses with their Taiwan colleagues. Most visits will last 3-4 weeks and instruction may take place either in Chinese or English, depending on mutual arrangements made with local universities.