The Taiwan-United States Sister Relations Alliance (TUSA) Summer Scholarship Program is an Ambassador program. A unique program especially designed for students who will be representing their state, as well as the United States, and acting as ambassadors to Taiwan. Please share the information below with any of your students who would be interested in applying for a scholarship studying Mandarin and culture in Taiwan.
- Online application due by February 15 for early admission and March 31 for final consideration
- Application guidelines with eligibility requirements, academic requirements, and program details
- 2015 TUSA promotion film and program information
- TUSA Facebook Page with photos from last year
- TUSA Website with general information about our organization
- Ideal applicants are American citizens who hold neither a Taiwan passport nor claim Taiwanese or Chinese heritage
- Full-time student at a U.S. college of university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from college professors
- All levels of Chinese (Mandarin) proficiency are acceptable; there is no requirement of prior language experience
- Intensive Chinese Language Classes: Classes will be divided in four categories depending on your Chinese language proficiency test
▪ Daily small group classes, 2 hours per day
▪ One-on-one tutorial classes, 1 hour per day
▪ Teaching will use Hanyu pinyin romanization and traditional characters
- Cultural Courses and Activities: Calligraphy, Chinese Painting, Tai Chi, Tea Ceremony, Stamp Engraving, Taiwanese Language, Chinese Cuisine, and Seminar on relevant topics
- Cultural and Language Exchange: One-on-one language exchange with volunteer students at National Cheng Kung university
- Cultural Excursions: Visiting National Palace Museum, Indigenous and Hakka Culture experience, and other cultural places
- Local Weekend Host Families and Volunteer in Local Schools: Students will be given additional opportunities to further immerse themselves in Taiwanese society
To apply, you may use our online application no later than February 15, 2015 for an early admission decision and by March 31, 2015 for final consideration.
Thank you for your kind help and kindest regards,
Yun-Chi Yeh, Ph.D.
Founder and Vice President of TUSA
Professor Emeritus, Univ. of Arkansas Medical Science