IEAS Visiting Scholar Application

Applying to be a Visiting Scholar or Researcher at IEAS


Application Guidelines

Selection Criteria

IEAS accepts Visiting Scholars who are pursuing research projects that cross borders in East Asia.  We welcome applications from academic researchers and university faculty members as well as from individuals with experience in government, business, or other professional fields who are likely to benefit from interactions with research scholars. Current Ph.D. students may apply for affiliation as a Visiting Student Researcher. 

Application Review

IEAS reviews Visiting Scholar and Visiting Student Researcher applications twice a year. 

  • For arrival during the fall semester (August 15–December)
    DEADLINE: March 31
  • For arrival during the spring semester (January–May 15 )
    DEADLINE: September 30 

The application process, from acceptance as a Visiting Scholar or Visiting Student Researcher to arrival in the United States, usually takes at least 3 months and can take up to 6 months to complete due to visa regulations. Scholars and Student Researchers should plan their arrival date accordingly.

Privileges and Responsibilities of a Visiting Scholar

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers are independent researchers while in residence at Berkeley. They enjoy full access to UC Berkeley’s libraries and electronic resources and receive an e-mail account for use during their stay. They may be invited to present or otherwise take part in seminars or conferences organized by IEAS, and they are welcome to attend all public events on campus. Classroom participation as an auditor is subject to the approval of individual faculty members. All Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers are required to submit a final report on the outcome of their research affiliation.  IEAS appreciates copies of publications or papers completed during a visitor’s affiliation with UC Berkeley.

Please note that IEAS does not provide individual computer equipment or phone lines. Visitors should plan to bring their own laptops.


Application Procedures


A complete application consists of:

    • A cover letter/letter of introduction (in English)
    • A research proposal that includes the following:
      • Title of proposed project
      • Description of research project and plan of research
      • Research goals during period of affiliation
      • Brief statement on how IEAS affiliation will help accomplish these goals or further career development
      • Proposed arrival date and length of stay
      • One letter of recommendation from scholars who are familiar with your work
    • Letter of academic sponsorship and contact information of UC Berkeley faculty member (For STUDENT researchers ONLY)
    • Curriculum vitae (in English)
    • Copy of passport information page for scholar and any accompanying dependents

Complete applications may be e-mailed directly to Daniel Ureste (

Or Mailed to:

Daniel Ureste
Institute of East Asian Studies
1995 University Avenue Suite 510K
Berkeley, CA 94704-2318



Completed applications are then reviewed by IEAS. Applicants will be notified of the Institute’s decision in writing within a reasonable period of time.



After you received preliminary approval, applicants will be asked to submit these additional application fees/forms:

  • Application Fee ($300) and J-1 Processing Fee ($500) (both nonrefundable) – an international money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank in US dollars— made payable to "U.C. Regents" — in the total amount of $800. Your application will not be processed until receipt of these fees.
  • Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) application form. Please fill out entirely.
  • DS-2019 Request form.
  • A financial statement verifying that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents while you are a visiting scholar at Berkeley (required amount: minimum $1,800/month for scholar, plus $500/month for spouse and $300/month for each dependent child.) The document can be a Letter from Department Chair or Dean on university letterhead stating approved sabbatical leave verifying and detailing funding for entire period of desired affiliation (see Sample Letter of Financial Proof), or a financial statement from your bank showing a sufficient balance. The letter must be dated within the past six months.
  • Proof of English language proficiency. TOEIC score is not permitted. As of January 5th, 2015, all applicants are required to submit proof of English language proficiency in compliance with Federal regulation on J-1 visa. The applicant must have adequate English language proficiency for the proposed activity. (Reg.22 CFR 62.10 (a)(2)). Please select from following options. Please note that the following recommendations are not intended to guarantee a visa approval at the embassy.

(a) Most recent copy of a recognized English language test (TOEFL or IELTS only). TOEFL iBT minimum score is 80. PBT is 550 for the paper-based test, or 213 for the computer-based test. IELTS is 6.5. The score must be obtained within 5 years from the time you submit your application to CKS.


(b) Signed letter from an academic institution or English language school on institutional letterhead. Please consult with Daniel Ureste for details.

Please be aware that IEAS only accepts the above options for visiting scholar applicants to fulfill English language proficiency requirements and does not conduct interviews regarding such.

  • All previous DS-2019 copies. This applies only to scholars who have entered the U.S. on J-1 visas before.



Once all fees have been paid and secondary application materials have been received, IEAS will process the applicant’s DS-2019, which allows him/her to go to the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy to apply for the J-1 (Visiting Scholar) visa.



After receipt of the DS-2019 and related materials, applicants are required to pay a one-time U.S. government Homeland Security processing fee (SEVIS) of $180 online: Once this fee has been paid, applicants will then contact their local Consulate or Embassy to apply for the J-1 visa. To find the address, phone number and business hours of the nearest Consulate or Embassy, please visit the following website: Usually an interview is required to secure the J-1 visa.

Send either an international money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank — made payable to "U.C. Regents" — or an international bankwire for the following fees:





University Services Fee. This entitles you to use the library facilities of the nine-campus UC library system, to audit classes with professors' permission, to use the university's wireless internet service, and to establish an e-mail account. Visiting Scholars pay $750 for the year, while Visiting Student Researchers pay $1500. These fees increase if you wish to extend your appointment for a second year. See our Program Extension page for more details.


IEAS Visiting Scholar Program Fee. This one-time fee covers the administrative costs of your appointment as a visiting scholar at our center. It also entitles you to certain privileges and services at CJS for the duration of your appointment. NOTE:  *$10,000 is charged to all other scholars ( i.e., journalists, government officials, and researchers) at government and private institutes.



Once a Visiting Scholar/Visiting Student Researcher has the visa in hand and travel plans scheduled, she/he should inform IEAS of her/his arrival dates and schedule an appointment to complete the arrival forms required by the U.S. government.

Upon arrival, meet with an IEAS representative. Please bring your (and accompanying family members'):

a) DS-2019 form

b) Passport (in order for CJS to copy current visa stamp and the 1-94 form attached to passport upon entering the United States)

c) Proof of health insurance, if purchased in home country. This proof of insurance should consist of a health coverage booklet (with English translation) and/or letter, written in English, from your insurance company that details your health coverage. Click here for more information regarding health insurance.

At the meeting, the visiting scholar will also sign a Patent Acknowledgement Form, which is required by the University of California.