CJS Fellowship in Japanese Studies
Deadline: April 1, 2022
The Center for Japanese Studies announces its 2022-2023 fellowship competition for continuing UC Berkeley graduate students in Japanese Studies. CJS will accept applications for most academic purposes including pre-dissertation and dissertation research or study, dissertation writing and summer language study.
A specific plan of research/study not for general support must be proposed, along with a statement of expected outcome.Awardees will be required to file a brief final report to CJS at the end of the award period.
The current maximum award ceiling per student is $10,000 per year. As an exception, if you are in the final year of dissertation writing in 2022-2023, you are allowed to make a one-time, final request for up to $15,000.
CJS awards are insufficient to cover a full year of funding for any applicant. CJS strongly encourages applicants to apply for funding from other campus and extramural sources and to apply to CJS for the additional funding that may still be needed for the project or study period.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, IEAS is assessing feasibility of summer travel abroad. Applicants are strongly encouraged to include alternate plans in case summer research or study travel to proposed countries is prohibited.
Applicants are strongly urged to provide recommenders with copies of their statement of purpose beforehand. All application materials, except for letters of recommendation, must be saved as a PDF and emailed to email@example.com on or before April 1, 2022.
- Application Cover Sheet (PDF File)
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- A detailed Research/Study Proposal for the period of requested support (max. 2 pages)
- A List of All Financial Assistance received during graduate study, including fellowships from ALL sources (extramural fellowships as well), research assistantships, teaching appointments, and grants
- A complete List of All Support including the amount of fund requested for the coming academic year, with notes on the status of the requests
- An Estimated Budget for your project
- Two Letters of Recommendation (mailed or emailed separately to CJS). Emailed recommendations go to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A current Transcript (unofficial copies OK) from UCB together with a list of any courses currently in progress
Please contact the Center for Japanese Studies at email@example.com with any questions you may have.