Resources & Grants
Resources for Visiting Scholars
A complete explanation of the CKS visiting scholar application process is available on this website under Application Information. If you need further information about visiting scholar programs at UC Berkeley, you may consult two websites for up-to-date information. These websites are:
- Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs (VSPA). The website contains complete information on the VSPA program.
- Berkeley International Office. This website contains information on such matters as the issuing of visa documents, immigration advising as well as advising services in other areas, including cultural adjustment, financial needs, work permission, family matters, general advising, liaising with other campus offices, and navigating our large university and the community around us.
Professional Travel Grants
Applications considered on a rolling basis
Maximum Award: $800
The Center for Korean Studies offers grants of up to $800 to visiting scholars for travel to present a paper at a professional conference. Travel grants are subject to any visa restrictions that may apply. Grants will be in the form of reimbursements for airfare, ground transportation, hotel expenses, and conference registration fees. Expenses in excess of the $800 maximum will not be reimbursed. If the total reimburseable expenses are less than $800, only the amount of the actual expenses will be awarded.
Note: Reimbursements to Visiting Scholars can take considerable time to process due to the amount of paperwork and number of approvals invovled. It is not uncommon for the process to take a month or more. Scholars must submit all receipts upon completion of travel, then create a vendor account (5-10 business days) and complete a GLACIER account (5-10 business days), and then wait for internal processing and approval.
How to Apply
Submit a proposal no longer than two pages with the following information:
- Name, location, and date of conference.
- Proof of invitation and/or a copy of the program or agenda; and, when applicable, a copy of the paper to be presented.
- Itemized budget of travel expenses.
- At the completion of travel, you will need to submit a brief (1 to 3 page) report, and may be asked to give a presentation.
Send to Dianne-Enpa Cho (email@example.com).